During this time of National Emergency, there have been abundant changes to our daily lives and halts on almost all spring activities. We hope this page will provide useful information about coronavirus safety and news updates from our partner organizations within the watershed.
Although we are being asked to stay home, many trails are still open! Just make sure to follow the Coronavirus guidelines from the CDC, WHO, and Departments of Health (listed below) and practice social distancing if you go for a nature walk. Check in with individual organizations regarding their policies and schedules.
COVID-19 and Water Resources:
Experts around the world agree that source water is not causing the spread of coronavirus and that our drinking water is still safe to drink from our normal sources. Safe drinking water standards and public supplier precautions and disinfections have long been in place to protect us. Purchasing water bottles is still not encouraged.
Coronavirus Safety & Updates in Pennsylvania:
Schuylkill Action Network Updates:
- Our strategic planning sessions originally scheduled for April 8 and 9 have been postponed. A virtual session is planned for June 4 from 10am-12pm. Click here to register.
- The Schuylkill Scrub is postponed until the fall, but the CleanSweep app is still available for download (now for Apple AND Android!) to record individual cleanup activity.
- The Schuylkill River Sojourn has been postponed, and the SAN will not be offering the Sojourn Steward position in 2020. You can still show us your solo boating, canoeing, or kayaking trips on social media by using the hashtag #BoattheSchuylkill!
Updates from our agency partners:
Updates from our non-profit partners:
Please check in with individual organizations for updates on closures and cancellations.
- Bartrams Garden: Public trails are open, but offices, historic areas, and in-person events are all closed/canceled. The parking will also close periodically to limit visitors.
- Hawk Mountain: The Visitor Center AND TRAILS are closed until June 10.
- PA Land Trust Association: COVID-19 Resources for Open Space, Parks, Preserves, and Trails.
- Partnership for the Delaware Estuary: Office is closed, staff are working remotely, and all events are canceled or postponed through July 1.
- Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy: Office is closed and staff are working remotely through April 6. All public events through the end of April are canceled or postponed.
- Schuylkill River Greenways: Office is closed and staff are working remotely. Check their events page for information about individual programs.
Resources for Online Education:
Resources for Water & Wastewater Utilities: